The Golden Pin Concept Design Award is open to any designer, be it professional or hobbyist, with a passion for creative design and ideas for social change. In a time constantly striving for progress, innovation, and stretching the limits of what is possible, do you have fresh and creative solutions? If you do, then you could be the next great designer of our time. With the potential to win a substantial prize money, we invite you to come and demonstrate your talents and make your ideas become reality!
- Entries are limited to works that have yet to be manufactured and marketed in the current year.
- There are no restrictions on the entrants’ nationality or occupation. Entrants can enter as an individual, group, or company.
- There is no entry fee.
※ There is no restriction on the number of entries (Submission for multiple categories is permitted).
Call for Entries Period
Submission deadline is June 20 (Thu), 2019, 17:00 (Taipei GMT+08:00)
Registration website: https://my.goldenpin.org.tw/en
※ Amendments may be made to entries prior to the deadline.
- Preliminary Selection: Early July, 2019 (online selection)
- Secondary Selection: Mid-August (overseas event) to the end of August (Taipei event), 2019; shipping deadlines and locations will be announced at a later time.
- Final Selection: End of September, 2019. Contestants will be permitted to deliver their presentations in person; time and location will be announced at a later time.
- Award Ceremony for the Best of Golden Pin Concept Design Award: The ceremony is set to be held concurrently with the Golden Pin Design Award in early December.
※ This schedule may be subject to change. Please refer to the official website for the latest update.
- Best of Golden Pin Concept Design Award
Each of the recipients will receive a prize money, a trophy, a certificate, and the right to use the Golden Pin ‘Best Concept’ Design Mark on promotional materials. Total prize money for Best winners is up to NT$1,200,000.
- Golden Pin Concept Design Award
Each of the recipients will receive a certificate and the right to use the Golden Pin ‘Concept Design’ Design Mark on promotional materials.
Articles for daily use
Clothing and accessories
Including (but not limited to): curating/planning, exhibition venues, experiential design, social designs, welfare designs, and urban/public designs
Preliminary Selection (Online Registration)
Please fill out your information on the online registration system. Submission of entries should abide by the formatting requirements of their respective categories (e.g. picture format). Relevant notices are as follows:
- Personal information: Please fill out the online registration form as directed. Only current students may provide school-issued email addresses.
- Description of design: Description should be written in paragraphs instead of bullet points. Do not exceed the word limit (200 words for Chinese/1200 characters for English).
- Entry pictures: Please upload one to three pictures of the entry in landscape orientation. Descriptions of the pictures should be kept to a minimum, preferably focusing on the features of the design. The pictures should be A3-sized (29.7cm×42cm) JPEG files with a resolution of 300dpi.
- Video link (optional):
For entries of digital content/dynamic images, the entrants should provide video links. For entries of webpage/interactive design, it is strongly suggested that entrants upload a video showcasing the features and functions of the design. The formatting requirements of videos are as follows:
– Video should be uploaded to YouTube or similar video sharing platforms. A short clip of 30 seconds is preferred.
– Video should be titled the same as follows: “Name of Entry”; “Description of Design” should be posted in the description field.
– A valid link should be provided in the “Video Link” field in the online registration form.
※ Note: The video link will be used by the jury during online selection (Preliminary Selection). It is strongly suggested that uploaded entry videos be set as unlisted to limit public access to the video.
Secondary Selection (Submission of Prototype or Scale Model)
The prototype/scale model of the prototype/poster of each entry should be delivered to the Secondary Selection site as instructed by the organizer before the given deadline.
- Product Design: 1:1 prototype or scaled-down model.
- Visual Communication Design:
- Poster: Limited to five A1-sized (59.4cm×84.1cm) posters (mounting is not required).
- Video: Link to the full video should be sent to the designated email address to await assessment.
- Packaging Design: 1:1 prototype or scaled-down model.
- Design of derivative applications should be presented with 1:1 prototype or scaled-down model.
- Spatial Design: Limited to five A1-sized (59.4cm×84.1cm) posters (mounting is not required).
- Integrated Design:
- Physical Entry: Project proposal or related exhibits. Posters do not require mounting.
- Digital Entry: Link to the full video should be sent to the designated email address to await assessment.
Final Selection (Submission of Presentation or Video of Entry Introduction; In person Presentation is Permitted)
Files or links should be sent to the designated email address within the timeframe set by the organizer. Details will be announced at a later time.
- Presentation file format (including but not limited to): PowerPoint presentations and PDF files (Keynote files should be converted to PDF files).
- Video file format (including but not limited to): MP4, MPEG, and MPG files (length of each video is limited to between one and three minutes).
- Video subtitles: Chinese and English
To facilitate the communication of the concepts behind outstanding designs, entrants who pass the Secondary Selection will have the opportunity to attend an exclusive training course (to be confirmed) that will help them enhance their communication skills and refine the integrity of the presentation and video that are required at the Final Selection stage of the competition.
- Preliminary Selection: Finalist entries are selected based on the entry information provided in the online registration form.
- Secondary Selection: Prototypes or models submitted by entrants who passed Preliminary Selection are reviewed by an in-person jury. Entrants who pass the Secondary Selection are awarded a Golden Pin Concept Design Award ‘Design Mark’ and qualify for Final Selection and the chance to be named Best of Golden Pin Concept Design.
- Final Selection: The winners of the Best of Golden Pin Concept Design Award are selected based on submitted prototypes or models and the accompanying presentations or videos of each work. The winners will be announced at the award ceremony.
※ Finalists for the Best of Golden Pin Concept Design Award, who will be announced before the award ceremony, are entitled to attend the award ceremony and after party.
Judging committees at different stages of selections, consisting of both local and international experts of various professional field, assess each entry based on its aesthetics, integrity, marketability, technical feasibility, and degree of originality.
- Originality: The concept, function, and materials of the work should include original elements.
- Aesthetics and integrity: The work should demonstrate fully the concepts and characteristics of the work itself.
- Marketability and technical feasibility: The possibility of future implementations that meet market needs.
The award ceremony is set to be held in early December in Taipei City. The winners of the Best of Golden Pin Concept Design Award will be announced during the ceremony.
※ Please refer to the official website for the latest updates.
- Golden Pin Trophy: Each of the hefty glass trophies is solidly built. The exquisite and unique craftsmanship is a glistening reward fit for the distinguished designers.
- Certificate of Honor: The certificate represents the commendations received by the contestants and may be used to increase exposure.
- Prize Money: Substantial prize money is awarded as a tangible support for the winners, helping them bring their concepts to market.
- Training Course: A professional training course is provided to enhance the contestants’ communication skills required for both the competition and various future projects.
- Golden Pin Winners’ Exhibition: Winners of the Golden Pin Concept Design Award and the Best of Golden Pin Concept Design Award have the early opportunity to be selected for exhibition, providing their works with a stage to shine.
- Online Exhibition: Detailed information of the winning entries and their designers will be displayed on the official Golden Pin website, helping designers and their outstanding designs gain exposure through the power of the online community.
- Promotion: Winners may enjoy promotion from the press and marketing provided by a team dedicated to the domestic and overseas promotion of the award. This is a watershed moment for the winners and a chance for them to shine on the global stage.
- Design Mark: The Golden Pin Concept Design Award (logo: CONCEPT DESIGN) and the Best of Golden Pin Concept Design Award (logo: BEST CONCEPT) are prestige-boosting certificates of excellent design.
- Detailed information (including pictures and documents) associated with each entry must be provided to the award organizer for promotional and reporting purposes. Prototypes of entries that reach the Final Selection stage will not be returned in the following year and the works will enter the collection of the Taiwan Design Center and may be used for exhibition and promotional purposes.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must NOT be produced or available on the market within the year of the award. Should it be discovered that an entrant has violated these rules, the award organizer reserves the right to revoke his or her participation.
- Be sure to adhere to the deadlines as advised with regard to entering the award and submitting prototypes. Failure to do so will be considered a withdrawal from the competition.
- Entrants will be solely responsible for any costs incurred in the transportation of their entry or project (including import and export duties, insurance, food inspection, etc.) and any related procedure documents.
- The winners are taxed according to Taiwan’s Tax Act, where 10% of income tax will be deducted from the winnings of Taiwanese entrants and 20% from the winnings of foreign entrants.
- In the case where concrete evidence is found/exposed that a winner and his/her work(s) are in violation of the regulations of the award’s reviewing process, or are involved in plagiarism, infringement of others’ works, or that the entrant is not the originator of work or that the work is already manufactured or available on the market, the organizer will revoke the winner’s title, prize money, certificate, and trophy. Should the aforementioned incident result in a claim for right by a third party on the award organizer (Taiwan Design Center) or the Industrial Development Bureau (IDB), Ministry of Economic Affairs, the responsibility lies solely with the entrant, who should take actions to solve the issue immediately and bear all the litigation, lawyer, and all other related expenses generated in the pursuit of a case. In the circumstance that damages (including, but not limited to, reputational damage) are caused to the Taiwan Design Center or the IDB, the winner shall bear the indemnity liability unconditionally. In addition, the Taiwan Design Center and/or the IDB reserve the right to seek punitive damages from the winner in question.
- Should any dispute arise in relation to the application, selection, usage or abolishment of a Design Mark, an entrant may seek mediation or civil/administrative litigation. Any civil or administrative action brought against the organizer must first be undertaken at Taipei District Court.
- Should a winning work is found to be involved in behaviors that damage the reputation of the Golden Pin Concept Design Award, the organizer reserves the right to revoke the winner’s title, prize money, certificate, and trophy.
- The number of winners will be adjusted according to the quality and quantity of entries. Entrants who win both the Best of Golden Pin Concept Design Award and the Golden Pin Concept Design Award will only receive the Best of Golden Pin Concept Design Award as it is the highest honor of the two.
- It is deemed necessary that the organizer collect personal information of all entrants for promotional and administrative purposes related to the award. Entrants retain the right to either allow or disallow their personal information from being collected, handled, and used within the scope of the aforementioned purposes. However, if an entrant chooses not to provide their personal information, communication with the award organizer and access to any promotional services offered by the award organizer will be affected.
- For issues unaddressed in the preceding paragraphs, the organizer reserves the right to amend the content and conditions stated in this document.
Executive Organizer │ Taiwan Design Center
Address: No. 133, Guangfu South Road, Xinyi District, Taipei 11072
Tel: +886 2 27458199 ext. 396 Ms. Liang (Entry Enquiries & Registration)